NSW Altercation at Shopping Centre Car Park - Will I be Charged?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Robot76

4 December 2017
Good morning,

Was hoping you can help with an minor (hopefully minor) incident I was involved in driving on the way to the local shopping center.

As I was turning right into the shopping centre car park from the road, another vehicle decided to cut in front on me and get into my lane entering the car park. I had to then beep my horn as to warn the driver that he was about to hit my vehicle, however, he kept moving into my lane and then proceeded to put his arm out the window and give me the middle finger.

Please bear in mind that two lanes turn right from the street into the car park and there was no need for the driver to get into my lane. The road and car park is clearly marked that 2 lanes can turn right. The driver proceeded to continue into the car park, stopped at the ticket dispenser and drove off heavy footed. I continued to proceed to the ticket dispenser and grabbed my ticket. However as I was looking for parking I happened to drive past the vehicle. So I stopped in front of it, the driver then put down his window seeing that I wanted to speak to him and I politely told him that there was no need for him to give me the finger as he was the one that cut out in front of me and I was merely warning him that he was about to hit my car.

I also asked him if he realized that two lanes turn into the car park, to which he replied "Yes", so again I asked him, "then why did you cut out in front of me and then give me the finger?"

At this point in time a male passenger in the other vehicle got out of the car and stood at the back driver side of my vehicle. Feeling that this could now escalate as the gentlemen behind my car was standing in a threatening manner and all I wanted to do is inform the driver that both lanes are allowed to turn right, I drove off and found parking and continued about my day.

I am just wondering if the other driver can take any action against me as I was the one that pulled in front of him when I saw the driver parked to let him know how I felt. At no stage did I intentionally follow him, I just happened to drive past him as I was looking for a car spot. At no stage was I verbally abusive, loud, angry or threatening.

I have a passenger in my car that can collaborate. Can I be charged with any offense? And if so would I go to jail as this is my first offense? I am just concerned as I have a career and family and very stressed about this matter.

Thank you for your help.

Iamthelaw

13 September 2016
So, let me get this straight - The crux of it is you had a reasonably polite conversation with some one that happened to cut you off in traffic and nothing happened? And you're worried about being charged with a criminal offence, why?

DMQC

29 June 2016
No, you wouldn't be charged with anything and you would likely know by now if they had made a complaint. Don't stress about it, the other driver wouldn't be too keen to report you for anything given it stemmed from poor driving on his part.

Clancy

6 April 2016
Road rage as described through rose colored glasses! lol.... but who wouldn't want to give some jerk like that a piece of your mind?

Now coming up to Christmas, it is almost worthwhile to grab some popcorn and set up a chair at the local mall car park just to watch the fun and games!!!!

I am surprised they have not made a TV show out of it yet? Maybe they could do an armed car parking sci fi tv show where people basically wage war with machine guns and all the rest of it to get a parking? And if someone takes your spot you can blow their car up with a rocket launcher and retake the spot, then someone else blows up your car, etc, etc... Oh god that would be fun to watch!