WA Car i purchased was falsely advertised

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tarnz

6 March 2020
I purchased a car privately in early january 2020...a couple weeks after purchase i had a flat tyre..upon changing the tyre we discovered that the tyres were near bald and worn down to the wire on the inside of atleast 2 of the tyres...in the ad the seller had said the tyres...all 4..had been replaced and were new a month prior to him selling the car...i now have to replace all 4 tyres as they are to dangerous to drive on...am i able to get him to pay for the new tyres since he falsely advertised them as being new...??

Jake Matherson

15 June 2018
Assuming private sale.
It's you responsibility to check over the car and make sure everything is good.

Yeah it sucks. But you learnt a life lesson. Buy some new tyres and move on. Don't risk more financial headaches getting pulled over with bald tyres.

You can ask him to pay. He wont.

If it was a dealer you bought the car from you might have more luck asking them to pay. But still I highly doubt you will see any money and any kind of legal action will cost you more than a set of tyres.

STEVP

21 February 2020
Hi. If you purchased the car from a dealer, you might claim under the Australia Consumer law for misleading conduct and get some damages. if you win, you have the chance to get the order of cost, which could require the losing party to pay for part of your cost to case. If you are bought it from a private dealer, it is important to decide whether the statement in the advertisement amounts to part of your contract. If it is, you have the chance to sue for breach of contract and get some damages at common law.