VIC Car Damaged by Bolt in Car Park - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Oaken

19 May 2016
Hello,

I have a question regarding damage done to my car as a result of a raised bolt in a car park. The low concrete beam generally held to the ground by these bolts had one raised, resulting in the lower bumper of my car to be almost completely detached from my car.

When parking, the raised bolt was not noticed, nor was there any contact with it. Upon reversing, the bolt pulled the majority of the screws out of the bumper and barely held on.

I am just wondering if this could be treated in a similar way to damage done by potholes and sinkholes, and how I would go about claiming this. It occurred at a bakery so I'm not sure if they are responsible for the condition of the car park, or the local council.

Thank you in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
You need to find the owner of the car park first. A private owner has a different liability test compared to a public authority.

It is harder to successfully sue a council as the law gives them additional leeway.