NSW Dad Accused of Car Accident at Car Park - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Mercedes

1 October 2015
My father has been accused of hitting a parked car he parked next to. Upon entering the car park he noticed a man hanging around the car park. Anyway, he parked and went into the shopping centre with my mum. Upon returning to his car the owner of the vehicle parked next him and the man hanging around the car park were waiting for my dad and they accused my dad of hitting & scratching the passenger side door car when my dad parked noise first in the car space.

My dad pleaded his innocence of the car accident and mum did also. My dad took pictures and the damage is more like it has been keyed then hit or scratched by the bumper of my dad's car. My dad's vehicle is 10 years old and has several scratches on the bumper and they said that it was caused by hitting the parked vehicle. My dad didn't exchange details at the time as he believes he didn't do it.

Five months later, police attended the family home and asked for a statement and my dad explained what happened and provided photos. The police said they went through mobile phone records and said the witness and vehicle owner do not know each other. A month later my dad received a fine for not exchanging details, will there be any more action taken from the police or person accusing my dad? How do we find out? what should my dad do?

Any help appreciated.

Thank you