NSW Car Cover on Car Parked on Street - Any Issues If Accident Occurs?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

PiSquare

4 November 2014
Hi all. New member here, be nice.
The situation: Daughter is overseas. Her car is parked at the curb of our suburban cul-de-sac street.
I put a car cover over it, which covers the plates. I tried to wrap the hem around the plates, but the loose flaps obscure them anyway..
The car is registered and insured, and highly visible with its silver cover.
I know the plates have to be visible while on the road, but short of cutting a big hole in the cover, that is impossible.
The question: If someone damages the car, i.e. backs into it or has a car accident, etc. are they liable for the damage?
The reason I ask:
I have an uncouth neighbour who once ran into an unregistered trailer parked on the road (not mine) and claims to have successfully sued the owner for all damages and costs. He may, or may not have done this deliberately.

Sarah J

16 July 2014
Melbourne, Victoria
Hi PiSquare,

I am not too sure on the road rules in NSW regarding parking with obscured number plates. However, it would appear to be problematic and may cause your vehicle to be towed. I would suggest giving your local council and the NSW Roads and Maritime Services a call to enquire. Best to contact both as the local council usually regulates curb parking.

It would be best to show the number plate (cut a hole from the cover) just to be safe: Obscured/Unreadable plates

PiSquare

4 November 2014
Hi PiSquare,

I am not too sure on the road rules in NSW regarding parking with obscured number plates. However, it would appear to be problematic and may cause your vehicle to be towed. I would suggest giving your local council and the NSW Roads and Maritime Services a call to enquire. Best to contact both as the local council usually regulates curb parking.

It would be best to show the number plate (cut a hole from the cover) just to be safe: Obscured/Unreadable plates

Thanks Sarah,
It's a worry, these silly little things.
I taped the loose coverflaps up with duct tape. I hope it holds.