VIC Car Accident at Car Park - Am I at Fault?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tam72

29 November 2015
Yesterday, I was parked in a car park in front of a row of shops. I think the car beside me must have been reversing out just as I started to reverse, but I don't actually recall if they were arriving into the car park next to me or leaving.

The other car was an L plate driver being instructed, not that this probably makes any difference. I looked in the rear view mirror and, of course, proceeded to reverse as there was nothing behind, but I guess I have reversed into their car as the damage is on my passenger rear side colliding into the other cars front drivers side, although it appears I must be at fault because I have seemingly reversed into their car. Is there a clear definition of fault in this car accident?

Appreciate any help.

S

Sophea

Was the car that you hit moving? If so you may both be at fault to some extent.

When two cars are reversing from opposite parks, then both are equally liable and should come to an agreement to share the total damage bill, or each agree to repair his own vehicle. However if one of the cars had stopped reversing and was stationary at the point of impact, then the other car who continued to reverse is liable for damage to both cars. If only one car was reversing and they reversed into a stationary vehicle the reversing driver is usually liable for damage to both cars.