Can I Take Parents to Court for Psychologist Fees?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Matt wells

13 June 2014
So. My childhood was messed up. I have suffered with depression and social anxiety. I'm very negative and always insult people, I have anger issues. I have trouble holding a job and making money, and in order to fix these problems properly, I need psychotherapy which costs around 300 per session. And it continues for as long as it takes, which I obviously can't afford. Can I take my father to court to pay for psychologist fees???

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
Hi Matt,
Not sure of the current relationship between you and your father, but have you asked him informally (without going to court) for some financial support to cover those costs?
Are you an adult now? Do you believe that your father has committed any offences against you?

Reactions: winston wolf

Matt wells

13 June 2014
Hi Matt,
Not sure of the current relationship between you and your father, but have you asked him informally (without going to court) for some financial support to cover those costs?
Are you an adult now? Do you believe that your father has committed any offences against you?

I'm 27... If I asked him he would just laugh and say something along the lines of "you probably deserved it" so yes, physical and mental abuse. I used to walk him home drunk at night from parties and tuck him into bed and clean his spew between 3-5 and 14-15, I just need the money for the proper treatment and I know with him and his wife can afford it

CathL

19 April 2014
Australia
I think because you're an adult now and it has been several years, that you would not likely have a case against him.
My understanding is that the general statute of limitations is usually 6 years.
Perhaps others on the forum have their thoughts?

You might be aware of these free mental health resources, but here is a link to some free mental health information and services (such as Mindhealthconnect, Beyondblue and the Department of Health). Also, here’s a link to the Department of Human Service’s ‘Payments for people living with illness, injury or disability’ page and 'Mental health' page that you might be eligible for, depending on your circumstances.