Can I Sue the Department of Child Safety Qld?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

anne nathan

27 June 2014
I have a child in care and she has been there for 6 years and her 18th birthday is on 29 july 2014.
A couple of weeks ago at a stakeholders' meeting, she was told by her CSO over teleconference that on 30 July there would be no more funding available. She is in residential care run by safe places.
This young lady saw homelessness awaiting her 1 day after her 18th birthday and she is not happy. She has mental health issues and does not need the psychological abuse from her CSO.

Transition into independent living should have started a long time ago. I have been trying to contact this CSO and she is aware that i am trying to make contact yet have not been successful. I put in an online complaint to Dept of Child Safety they contacted me yesterday and they are going to try and get this CSO or her team leader to contact me. My daughter contacted me yesterday to state that safe places will allow her to continue to live there after 30 July and she just has to pay board - for how long though.

What she does not understand is this: her housemate who is 18 in December moved out of the house this week into independent living. Her housemate has a different child safety officer. My daughter is very angry towards the Department and is screaming discrimination. I am asking her to try to be calm but her thinking is not like your average 18 year old.

Is there anything that can be done legally for her. What duty of care does the Department have towards her? Should i contact the child guardian and can they help her?

Worldly1

25 April 2014
Australia

anne nathan

27 June 2014
i finally got the team leader to speak to me. the forest lake office only got her file in february from the wynnum office and have not had the time to transition her out of care as yet but they are doing their best to help her get accommodation by 30 july. somehow i do not think this is
achievable in the time frame but one can only hope