QLD Ex Took on Male Sharemate - Contact Child Safety?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Cathy L

25 November 2015
Hi,

My daughter who lives with her dad in weekends is 10 and still doesn't have her own bedroom. Her bed is in the loungeroom. My ex and I already made an agreement during legal mediation and I am so happy with the agreement and am just waiting for the court order.

Recently I found out that my ex took a male stranger as a sharemate. My daughter complained to me about it which I understand because she needs privacy and on my end, I'm really worried because I don't think it's a safe living arrangement for my daughter, It's bad enough she doesn't have her own bedroom but taking a male stranger is unacceptable for her where there's no door to lock because of not having a bedroom herself.

My ex doesn't work and renting a house is beyond his means. He had a female sharemate but my daughter said my ex was desperate that's why he took a male instead. He could have rented a place where my daughter could have her own bedroom and doesn't have to hire a sharemate but refused.

During mediation, he told us his sharemate was a female. My problem is I didn't indicate on the agreement that he should only take a female sharemate. I asked my ex about this and I was told it's not my concern who lives in his house. Is there anything I can do about this or can I contact the child safety regarding this because my daughter doesn't feel safe about this? Or is there anything I can do because like I said the agreement was already in the court and we're just waiting for the order.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Sorry, I'm a bit unclear about how the father's living situation poses a risk to the child's safety. Does the male sharemate have a criminal record? Is the child still sleeping in the lounge room, and is the male sharemate sharing the living room with her?