Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

VIC Can Ex's House Purchased After Separation Be Taken With Bankruptcy?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Minnow, 21 November 2014.

1. Minnow

Minnow Member

Hello,
    I have the Debtor's petition currently sitting in my Drafts. I was married and we are separated not yet divorced. My Ex has purchased a house.

My problem is that I have run up debt and was going to declare bankruptcy, but am scared that they can take his house and he has no idea the financial trouble I am in.
    Thanks

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I am not an expert in bankruptcy and family law. However, property purchased by the bankrupt's spouse (non-bankrupt party) where the bankrupt spouse did not contribute to the property and the property is solely held under the non-bankrupt spouse's name, the property will not form part of trustee's property: see "property of a non-bankrupt spouse"

I doubt your ex-partner's property will form part of the trustee's property.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...