QLD Australian Law - Incorrect Residential Address - Is Default Notice Still Valid?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Danielle69

22 January 2016
My bank made an error and mistakenly had someone else's residential address on file. I'd always received correspondence to my PO box from them. The residential address was never my address, complete mistake by the bank.

They sent a default notice to that address and no copy to my postal. Never received it.

Is it still valid under Australian Law?

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Probably is valid.

You know your residential address held by the bank is wrong.
It is your responsibility to ensure the bank has the correct contact details.
Sending correspondence to a residential address is a valid form of delivery.

Suspect they sent notices to the PO box which were ignored.

Don't like your chances trying to prove the notice was not valid. You may be able to convince the bank to be nice and restart whatever proceedings they have against you but don't count on it.

AllForHer

23 July 2014
In my view, your failure to pay constitutes a breach of your contract with the bank. Have you tried simply contacting the bank to try and get the error rectified?

I agree with @Rod - you're unlikely to be excused from a default notice simply because they had the wrong address on file. Generally speaking, a reasonable person would take steps to avoid a default notice, wouldn't you agree? It would be reasonable to expect that a party would know roughly when a payment is due, and it would be reasonable to expect they would contact the bank in question if the invoice for that month didn't arrive. Further, it is your responsibility to ensure the contact details held by the bank are correct.