NSW Australian Consumer Law on Equal Treatment of Customers?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

samjones

31 October 2016
I'm wondering if there is any form of Australian consumer law or documentation pertaining to the equal treatment or privileges to customers from a business. For instance, if a company were to give a free Out of Warranty repair to one customer for accidental damage, but not to another who has the exact same product and the exact same fault?

Furthermore, what about if a free Out of Warranty repair was given to one customer for the same damage, but a customer with the same product that is still Under Warranty was denied free repair.

Thanks for your help,

SimonWheeler

24 October 2016
So was the damage in your case accidental? If so, it's not covered by warranty unless there is a defect in the product or documentation was partly to blame.

That the business did so for someone else is probably not relevant, could have been a friend, a relative or even a preferential customer. I have customers that I will sometimes not bill for billable work because in the long run it's better for me to keep the customer , a `swings and roundabouts` basis.

What was the item you had issues with?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
I agree with Simon, there used to be price discrimination laws, but in this case I can't think of any consumer law or other law that has been contravened.

samjones

31 October 2016
Thanks for your replies guys. Both cases were accidental damage of an identical nature, and were done to an Apple MacBook. My friend who had the same problem covered for free I would assume is a less preferential customer as I've purchased more Apple products than he has, and he doesn't have any personal relationships with anyone at Apple.