Appliance Business Demanding $900 - No Service Given - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now
13 June 2014
An appliance business is demanding $900 because they claim they arrived at my home and rang me at my workplace and I did not respond. They failed to show the week before and I had trades at my cafe, so I sent someone to wait. They then rang me to say they would come the following week.I specifically stated that I would only be available to let them in between 9 - 11 as I am the cook at my cafe. I did not receive a call . I then received a bill for $135.00. I rang the company and said I was not willing to pay. I also spoke to the owner and told him the same.

Where do I stand under the Australian Consumer Law?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Philomena Carney,
Why is the appliance business demanding $900? Did you agree for them to provide specified goods/services?

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
  1. Was the dishwasher at your home or work?
  2. What repairs did you agree to? Do you have a copy of any contract/terms from the dishwasher repair business?
  3. Why are they requesting $900 after invoicing you for $135? Was the $135 simply a call out fee?

13 June 2014
The dishwasher was at my home. There was no contract as such it was just organized over the phone. The 135 was obviously a call out fee which I was unhappy to pay as I had no idea they were at my house therefore unable to give them access to my dishwasher.

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
Hi Philomena,
If the appliance business' owner has refused to waive the $135 call out fee (I'm still unsure where the $900 comes into the picture), the logical next step would appear to be contacting the appliance business in writing to dispute the invoice for the reasons that you've set out.
Which state/territory are you located in? I should then be able to provide further information from your local fair trading/consumer affairs office.

winston wolf

21 April 2014
Adelaide
changefpa.com.au
Reactions: John R