NSW Australian Consumer Law - Buyer Demanding Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

JulieM

12 March 2017
Hi,

I have sold a dress on gumtree recently and the buyer demands a refund claiming it is a fake. I advertised it as a Sherri Hill Beaded Bodice dress which was exactly the description of the dress when I purchased it from an online store. I never claimed it to be an original and she never asked.

I purchased the dress for around $450, it was a couple of years ago - my daughter didn't like it when it arrived and I have had it on gumtree since then. It had never been worn, only tried on when we received it. I started my add with the price of $350 originally and had reduced it to $200 when it hadn't sold for quite some time. She offered me $150 including the cost to send it to WA, I am in NSW, and that was $13.80.

I agreed and she deposited the money into my account and when it appeared in my account I posted it. When she received it she text me saying it was a fake and she would never have purchased a fake and would send it back demanding a refund of $150. What are my rights as far as this goes?

My daughter has just searched her up on Facebook and has found she has a dress hire business in WA, she had told me that the dress was for her daughter to wear to a function. I'm guessing she was wanting to make some money with the dress and just isn't happy that it doesn't have a designer label on it. If it was a designer label wouldn't she expect to pay quite a lot more for it?

I would appreciate some help on what to do and what my rights are under Australian Consumer Law with all of this.

Regards

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
I advertised it as a Sherri Hill Beaded Bodice dress

This is the issue, you were misleading and apparently deliberately so.

She is within her rights to demand a refund and if she does take it further expect to lose at court. Forget about recovering postage, as this appears to be your mistake, not hers.

From a moral and legal standpoint you should return the money.

JulieM

12 March 2017
This is the issue, you were misleading and apparently deliberately so.

She is within her rights to demand a refund and if she does take it further expect to lose at court. Forget about recovering postage, as this appears to be your mistake, not hers.

From a moral and legal standpoint you should return the money.

Thanks Rod, the thought never entered my mind as to whether the dress was an original or not when I was selling it and there was no deliberate intent along those lines. I advertised it the same way as I bought it online which was a description of the dress. The for sale heading was "Formal Dress". We had no need for the dress and I was only trying to sell an unwanted item not take someone for a ride!!