VIC Am i liable for car hire costs

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ali9792

28 November 2019
A driver named Bill driving my uninsured personal vehicle is invloved in a traffic accident while on the job driving for a company. Bill and his company have admitted fault and his company has paid for the claimant's (the other party) car repair cost as well as mine.
However the claimant has sued me for the cost of hiring a car while his car was being repaid. Am i liable for the claimant's car hire costs?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
I don't see how you could be when someone else has admitted liability and the other driver has already accepted compensation from them for repairs. I'd be telling them straight up that you have no liability in this case at all and that they need to pursue Bill and/or the company. I can't see a court holding you liable in these circumstances either.

As a side note, it's as dodgy as hell for any business to let their people drive other peoples uninsured private vehicles for work. I have no idea what's going on there and I'm not sure I want to either. But it does surprises me that the company accepted any liability at all and didn't let Bill hang on his own - I reckon most companies would have in the circumstances.