NSW Car Accident with Multiple Collisions - Am I Liable for Damage?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

S P

14 October 2015
Hi,

I was involved in a car accident last month. There were four cars involved in it. I will try to explain using numbers.

No. 2 hit the No. 1 and No. 1 ran away. No. 3 hit No. 2 and moved out of the lane towards left. I was driving No. 4 and as I saw No. 3 moving out of lane, I slammed the brakes and hit No. 2 car's tow bar.

Insurance companies determined that the driver of No. 3 car was at fault for the damage to No. 2 car and is liable to pay for it. My car insurance company called me and advised that I am not liable to pay anything - should I ask them to provide this via email too?

Apparently, my car was also damaged due to hitting tow bar of No. 2

Since I have only third-party property insurance, my insurance company wouldn't advise me who is liable for damage to my car. I am a bit confused here if I am liable for the damage to my car.

Thanks in advance.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Probably you. You are responsible for stopping in time. Same logic as No 3 paying for No 2. No 3 will be responsible for his own damage.