VIC Allegedly Caught Shoplifting 20 Times - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

jimmyd23

13 December 2017
Hi all,

I am seeking some general help as I'm feeling physically sick after the altercation I just had.

Visited my local supermarket to purchase a few bottles of water. Within grabbing the water, one of the store managers is standing there and says "Hey mate, we've noticed you've been stealing alcohol from our store".

Initially I was completely flabbergasted and said "really?". To which he responded "We have you on camera pocketing cans". Immediately I recall 2 occasions I did put a can in my pocket. Completely unacceptable, I know but I was not in denial that the theft had occurred, although it happened many months prior.

He started to get a bit cocky and said "What, you don't remember stealing them?"

And all I could say was I understand this is not acceptable. He continually looked toward the office I was expecting him to take me in and notify the police. He then goes on to say "We have you on camera at least 20 times stealing" to which I was surprised as I don't believe I had shoplifted from the store that many times.

He then says "Your picture is all over the walls in the office, all the managers know who you are".

All I could say was "Do you want me to leave?" to which he said, "pay for your water and get out. If you ever step foot in this store again, we will hand the footage to the police."

I nodded and got out as quick as I could.

My question is if they truly had 20 instances of me visibly shoplifting on camera, why would they not pursue the issue with police? Was this a scare tactic or was I just lucky the manager was empathetic? Should I be prepared for a knock on the door from police?

I feel physically sick for my actions and am disgusted in myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Get yourself to a lawyer and a psychiatrist

Reactions: Iamthelaw

sammy01

27 September 2015
Get yourself a psychologist... But don't get a lawyer yet. If the cops come a knocking (and they probably won't) do not make a statement. Do not confess...

jimmyd23

13 December 2017
I'm getting so many mixed responses, I think I should continue as if it never happened but legal aid are advising they can still press charges whenever they want

Jermy

30 March 2015
I think he is bluffing, but saying this does not mean you can relax and put your feet up, if they have you on camera for one time, one time is all is required to report to the police. But there is a cost associated with going this route, they need to pay for solicitor etc.... so the manager has taken a financial decision to warn you to prevent you from their store. This is what they need, is to max their profits, not increase their costs, but if you do it again, don't expect that the manager will not report it to police, so consider this a lesson well learned and be careful.