VIC 60i Certificate Issued After Mediation - What Next?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Anon_ymous

27 July 2018
Hi Anon

Depending on where you live (do not tell me), you may want to engage a private mediator.

Are you legally represented, if so, get your lawyer to write a gentle letter asking the mother to engage in mediation.

Let me know if you need help.
Thank you, I've started looking at private mediators now, they seem to offer a more thorough person centred approach.

Can only try.

No legal representation as yet. Wanted to leave that as a last resort as we can't really afford it. However, I am not optimistic that a letter from a laywer to mums lawyer would make any difference.

Anon_ymous

27 July 2018
I totally agree with this sentiment.

The problem you have is that often it is not possible to deal with a person who is being unreasonable without the coercive powers of a court.
I agree Rod, when you've offered and tried all there is then options become limited.

We will continue working on the application and affidavit just in case all else fails. I will most likely get in contact with you again re this.

Migz

20 November 2016
Here is how your case will play out, you do the right thing and get lawyer appointed mediation, now as the ex currently has the child and not you, she will be advised by her legal council to run your expensive mediation, at a cost of $1,000 to $4,000 for the 4 hours, then in the last 10 minutes her party will pull everything off the table that has been agreed upon... WHY? because they just wanted to get a feel for what you are after. Plus you are now out of pocket another couple of grand and nothing to show for it. So you get another s60I...yippee.

Seriously if you aren't seeing your child at the moment which I assume is what is happening, then you should of spent your Xmas holidays filling in your Initiating Application, Notice Of Risk, Affidavit, Annexures, Final Orders, and the all-important Interim Orders. You should then have saved the money on another useless mediation and spend the money on A. Having a lawyer review your paperwork prior to filing it yourself or B. Spend the money on having a "good" family lawyer represent you at the first hearing just to secure your time with the child.

Let me it tell it to you straight... you need as many hours as humanly possible with your child from the GET GO...the fact you aren't seeing your child at the moment will be used against you, not her. These judges call it status quo, and they don't deviate from status quo...until they are told to by a family report or a Trial.

In the meantime you should be emailing (only, not text, not phone, just email) the ex every 2nd day requesting time with the child the following day/ weekend, including pick up point and time you are seeking and able to carry it out, make these hours big, ie overnights, across meal times, bath times etc etc. You should of been doing this from the day she didn't hand the child over, so then you can put it in your affidavit/annexure.

Reactions: Anon_ymous and Rod

Anon_ymous

27 July 2018
Here is how your case will play out, you do the right thing and get lawyer appointed mediation, now as the ex currently has the child and not you, she will be advised by her legal council to run your expensive mediation, at a cost of $1,000 to $4,000 for the 4 hours, then in the last 10 minutes her party will pull everything off the table that has been agreed upon... WHY? because they just wanted to get a feel for what you are after. Plus you are now out of pocket another couple of grand and nothing to show for it. So you get another s60I...yippee.

Seriously if you aren't seeing your child at the moment which I assume is what is happening, then you should of spent your xmas holidays filling in your Initiating Application, Notice Of Risk, Affidavit, Annexures, Final Orders, and the all important Interim Orders. You should then have saved the money on another useless mediation and spend the money on A. Having a lawyer review your paperwork prior to filing it yourself or B. Spend the money on having a "good" family lawyer represent you at the first hearing just to secure you time with the child.

Let me it tell it to you straight... you need as many hours as humanly possible with your child from the GET GO...the fact you aren't seeing your child at the moment will be used against you, not her. These judges call it status quo, and they don't deviate from status quo...until they are told to by a family report or a Trial. In the meantime you should be emailing (only, not text, not phone, just email) the ex every 2nd day requesting time with the child the following day/ weekend, including pick up point and time you are seeking and able to carry it out, make this hours BIG, ie overnights, across meal times, bath times etc etc. You should of been doing this from the day she didn't hand the child over, so then you can put it in your affidavit/annexure.

Thanks Migz.

Have been emailing the lawyer.

Have filled the Notice of Risk, Application and are still working on the affidavit but have the annexures. (Just not sure which to include yet).

I read it is limited to 5 separate annexures and that including every bit of communication to the lawyer would possibly not be looked at by the judge/annoy them. Already feel we are on the back foot as you said, dad is getting zero time with the child.

Plan is to have the application looked at for sure. I guess I just can't actually get my head around how parents don't uphold the rights of their children and the long-term ramifications of this type of behaviour.

Probably naive on my behalf to think she may change her mind.

CSFLW

LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
24 September 2018
Hi Anon

Some community legal centres run a family law clinic, for example, Fitzroy Legal Service (FLS) and Monash Legal Service .

I know FLS will not be open until the 14 Jan 18, as I volunteer at that service.

The lawyers can look over the documents you have drafted and give you advice for free.

Reactions: Scruff

Anon_ymous

27 July 2018
Thank you.
Hi Anon

Some community legal centres run a family law clinic, for example, Fitzroy Legal Service (FLS) and Monash Legal Service .

I know FLS will not be open until the 14 Jan 18, as I volunteer at that service.

The lawyers can look over the documents you have drafted and give you advice for free.

That's more convenient than what legal aid advised us. Thank you for that info, will definitely utilise that.