VIC 457 Visa Sponsorship Not Being Honored by Hospitality Employer?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BGNM

29 June 2018
Hello

Inquiring on behalf of a friend who has been working under a working visa sponsored by their employer in hospitality. (I am not certain, but I believe it is the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457))

For the past couple of years and has recently found out their employer will not be honoring their 457 visa.

I do not have full knowledge of their contract or working conditions but am inquiring what avenues this person can take for further advice?

Appreciate any assistance in this matter

Owais

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
18 June 2018
Sydney, NSW
Hi BGNM,

It's hard to give any suggestions as you have provided very limited information. However, if your friend was sponsored on a 457 visa and prior to making an application for Permanent Residency, his employer decided no longer to employ him then he should notify the immigration department immediately.

The visa situation is not in control by the employer. The immigration department makes all the decisions regarding the visa.

If his employer decides to terminate his employment then your friend maybe awarded a visa condition which will allow him to be unemployed for a period of up to 60 days. In between those days, your friend may look for another employment opportunity.

Let me know if you have any further questions or want to get in touch.

Regards