Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

NSW 457 Visa - What Happens If I Lose My Job?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by Carmen Garcia, 24 September 2015.

1. Carmen Garcia

Carmen Garcia Member

Hi, what will happen if I lose my job whilst on a 457 visa? I have applied for a partner visa a couple of months ago, however my situation at work has changed and I am afraid I may lose my job. Will this mean my 457 visa will get cancelled or will it still be in place until a decision is made on my partner visa?

What bridging visa will I go on? If I was to lose my job, could I go traveling with my family until a decision is made on the partner visa or do I need to stay in Australia?

Thank you.

2. Therese

Therese Well-Known Member

Hi Carmen,

My suggestion would be to look for another job to continue sponsoring you with your 457 visa until your partner visa comes through.

I am not sure if you can apply for a bridging visa after your 457 visa expires. I think you have 28 days to get a new visa, leave the country or find a new job.

Maybe you should contact the department or even an immigration lawyer to obtain advice about what to do.
    Lawyers can be found at this link: Get Connected with the Right Lawyer for You

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...