ACT Wrongly Listed on the FACS Database?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Peter1960

5 July 2017
I have been informed I am listed on the KiDS database as a Person Associated with Causing Risk (PACR) NSW database. I have received information from Family and Community Services (FaCS), NSW which doesn't outline when this was placed on there.

Information from FaCS has listed the wrong child associated with the listing. The alleged investigations leading to this occurred in 1998. Local office manager, where the alleged investigations took place has said it will remain for the rest of my life.

Legal person in FaCS, despite the report presented by a physiologist, providing the allegation were unsubstantiated, "We may not believe it to be true".

How can I clear my name from the KiDS register?

Thank you for your thoughts.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Have you spoken to the ACT/NSW Ombudsman about fixing your records?

Peter1960

5 July 2017
Hi Rod,
Yes, and they told me to go back to FaCS complaints, whom say there is nothing they can do :(

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
Get it from them in writing and take that back to the Ombudsman.

Peter1960

5 July 2017
Hi All. I received the information back form FACS. FACS Do NOT require proof or evidence on any allegations. They only require hearsay, or their own judgement. Armed with that, they listed me on the database on February 10, 1999 and did not tell me. (Can they do that??!!). State records say that anything associated with Child Welfare in NSW will be in archives forever. Minor listings, ie only reporting, not substantiated will be kept for 30 years, all with the caveat, if FACS consider the matter in their interpretation after reading the summary of 18 years ago relevant, it can stand again for 30 years, or until the children associated with the allegations die. FACS are a law society on their own! Even to the point that consider an adult, over the age of 18, still under their control for exposure to social media, until they reach the age of 25, should they have been involved in foster care. This is so they don't get picked on because they were in foster care, and is in line with the Child Criminal act. I have written to the ombudsman with the details above, but I feel it will simply get lost in the system bouncing back and forth between government agencies. All I want to do is look after my grandsons unsupervised, so I can the opa duty, but FACS told the Samaritans, Foster care agency, to 'stall' proceedings, (no snow excursion for my grandsons now!), until further notice. How many unsubstantiated listings are out there that nobody is aware off, without being told they are listed, and so cannot so anything about it until it is to late! "Oh . it happened 18 years ago, so the children involved are unable to recall". What can I do?