Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Wrongly Detained, Refused to Provide ID - What are My Rights?

Discussion in 'Criminal Law Forum' started by john90, 12 July 2014.

1. john90

john90 Member

I was detained by police and kept in jail overnight when police asked me for an ID and I said "what are my rights?". I was in town. I was under the influence of alcohol outside a club at the time.

I received a letter stating that I had "refused" to provide my ID, which is incorrect as I just asked the officer what my rights were in that situation. I have to go to court soon and am going to hire a lawyer. Just wondering what my grounds are.

2. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

What have you actually been charged with?
    And in which state?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Toqual

Toqual Well-Known Member

^^

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. john90

john90 Member

I have been charged with refusal to provide id to a police officer. In Western Australia.

5. Tim W

Tim W Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Well, none of us were on the scene there with you, so we can't really answer that.
    But your decision to engage a lawyer is a good decision.

6. john90

john90 Member

I have witnesses who can provide written statements supporting the fact that i never said "no i will not provide my id". I simply asked for my rights and the officer proceeded to forcefully put me in the paddy wagon in which i complied and once i got to the police station i complied with everything they asked such as providing id and fingerprints. Does all of this help my cause?

7. Toqual

Toqual Well-Known Member

@john90 I strongly suggest you obtain a lawyer who will then assist you in preparing witness statements for the court which will benefit your case.

8. John R

John R Well-Known Member