VIC Working with children check

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Jayde20

20 September 2021
I want to apply for my dream job. The employer asked for work with children to check .Problem is there are dishonesty bending charges happened during my previous employment. A stupid mistake that's never happens again. I have no prior whatsoever. Therefore police may recommend diversion. The court date is mid November. I understand "Working with children check" involves a check of a person's criminal history, but would the bending charges appear in the WWCC? Can you clarify that please? The silly minor offences have nothing to do with children or sexual behaviour .
Greatly appreciated if you can help

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
The price of certainty, and hopefully, peace of mind,
is about a hundred dollars.
Do one of those online checks, on yourself.

Jayde20

20 September 2021
The price of certainty, and hopefully, peace of mind,
is about a hundred dollars.
Do one of those online checks, on yourself.
Thank you so much for the replay. Really mean a lot to me in this hard time. I have been unemployed for 7 months and some services of LAV are useless...
I read few threads from people here that says the pending charges (not bending) would appear in WWCC .. not sure if that’s right? Can anyone confirm please?

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
No point worrying about it. Apply for the job.

The type of offence you mentioned may not disqualify you from obtaining a WWC clearance.

If you need help with the diversion we can assist.

Jayde20

20 September 2021
No point worrying about it. Apply for the job.

The type of offence you mentioned may not disqualify you from obtaining a WWC clearance.

If you need help with the diversion we can assist.
Thank you Rod for your answer and for the offer to help. I surely will think about it. Actually the company is very restrict. That’s why I am asking. Do you mean the offences will be listed in the WWCC ?

Thanks again

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
The WWC is is not the same as a criminal check and some people get confused about this point.

Last time I saw a WWC card there were no offences listed.

You either pass and get the WWC, or you do not receive the card because you fail the test.

I had a quick and not thorough look, and dishonesty offences do not appear to be listed. The offences disqualifying people from receiving WWC cards are mainly sex, violence, child and drugs. I did not some surveillance offences are also disqualifying events.

I do note the law change recently as 15 September 2021 and I haven't looked through this new law and compared it to the old legislation.

Jayde20

20 September 2021
The WWC is is not the same as a criminal check and some people get confused about this point.

Last time I saw a WWC card there were no offences listed.

You either pass and get the WWC, or you do not receive the card because you fail the test.

I had a quick and not thorough look, and dishonesty offences do not appear to be listed. The offences disqualifying people from receiving WWC cards are mainly sex, violence, child and drugs. I did not some surveillance offences are also disqualifying events.

I do note the law change recently as 15 September 2021 and I haven't looked through this new law and compared it to the old legislation.
Yes it's confusing. Many thanks Rod for the answer. extremely appreciated.