NSW Concerned About Dismissed Sexual Assault Charges?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nurse m

8 November 2016
Hi,

I need to apply for a working with children check as a requirement to nursing and I am concerned about some charges I fought back in 1995 that were dismissed. These relate to a nursing procedure that the patient later stated they did not consent to, resulting in charges of sexual assault with out consent & indecent assault. Both were dismissed 11 years ago. Now I must have a risk assessment done.

Lance

31 October 2015
I'm not sure what your question is. It sounds like you realise the Criminal history check for the Working with Children card involves a full review of a person’s national criminal history, including juvenile records, convictions (whether spent or unspent) and charges (whether heard, unheard or dismissed).

The working with children checks as well as criminal history checks for other high risk roles are very thorough and have the requirement to cover aspects of criminal history that wouldn't show up on a regular national police check. I assume your risk assessment is undertaken within the context of you being placed in a situation where a patient could make a claim against you. Perhaps mitigated by working in pairs.