VIC Working With Children Check and prior interstate criminal history not relating to children.

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

adav6638

15 December 2023
Hi, I am asking a question but also puttin gthis out there for others that may be interested in the result.
I used to live in NSW and have a criminal history of shop lifting (a bag of groceries form my workplace which was accidental yet I was still charged and fines- even though my employer knew this and I still have my job here which doens't make sense_ and also another incident relating to driving offences and car accidents and being charged and convicted, my license suspended and paying more fines.
This was a couple years ago and I then moved back to VIC and this year was accepted into a postgraduate degree in Early Childhood Education and begin classes soon, I just need to apply for a Working With Children Check (WWCC), to do my upcoming childcare placements in a few months time.
I am still applying but am nervous that my history will affect me passing the check even though it is driving related, etc and some websites claim only serous (drug, sex, child offences) would bar a person from passing, yet other websites say that any criminal history is bad.
Any insights or advice? I will post my outcome when it arrives. Thank you.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Any insights or advice?
The price of peace of mind is exactly the same dollar cost
as the price of doing one of those online checks... on yourself.
Look at this way - your choice is between
a hundred bucks now vs forty grand of HECS/HELP debt... and no chance of working in the field.

adav6638

15 December 2023
Thank you for the reply. Can confirm I received the email this week (2 months after applying) saying I passed the check, now need to wait another couple weeks to get the physical card sent in the mail.