VIC Will Past Offence Affect My Permanent Residency Application?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

shahzad

28 December 2016
Well, I am international student and currently having a bachelor program in Melbourne which will be finished soon. My issue is that at the age of 16, I have been convicted by court with a fine of 300 rupees in my home country Pakistan for trespassing the railway track, and now when I applied for the police check, they are showing this offence on the character certificate.

Will this character certificate create any problems in getting a permanent residency, or I will pass the character criteria for immigration? Or can I have the permanent residency with such circumstances?

Hope to hear from you soon

Thanks

Regards

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Hi Shahzad,

While your criminal history will be considered, I don't think that this prior offence when you were 16 will, on its own, cause you to fail the character test. Generally a course of behaviour showing disregard for law or authority will be sufficient to impute a poor character.

A single offence - especially of a minor nature should not affect your prospects if everything else looks good.