Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

On Partner Visa - How Does Separation Affect Permanent Residency Application?

Discussion in 'Immigration Law Forum' started by Sam0504, 3 April 2016.

1. Sam0504

Sam0504 Member

My husband (Australian Citizen) and I married in Australia on Aug 16, 2014. I applied for a Partner Visa (Subclass 820) on Oct 18, 2014. I was granted the Partner Visa (Subclass 820) on May 14, 2015.

During this period of 2 years of married life, I have been witness to physical, verbal and emotional abuse from my husband. My husband is now threatening me to separate and file for a divorce. I am currently working full-time in a permanent role and drawing a reasonably good salary.

I have a few questions since I am still waiting for my Permanent Residency:

- What is the effect on my Permanent Residency application if my husband files for a divorce now ?
    - What happens to my Permanent Residency application if the husband doesn't sign the statuary declaration required for Permanent Residency?
    - What is the effect on my Permanent Residency application if my husband withdraws support since he is the sponsor ?

lee tran likes this.
  2. lee tran

lee tran Member

Hi! I have the same question. My husband gambles and I pay for everything. During my marriage life, I suffered a lot. He was unemployed and have other relationships but I still suffer. Now I've been waiting for permanent residency. What happen if I want to divorce? I married with another man.

Please help me.