Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, Want peace of mind with personalised and confidential legal advice today? Visit LawTap to find the right Australian lawyer and book online instantly.

QLD Will Magistrates Court Force a Refund?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by Michael Deegan, 1 January 2017.

1. Michael Deegan

Hello,

I moved in with my mother & paid 2 weeks rent, but then she abused me, so I had to leave the next day & she has flat-out refused to give me my money back ($400 plus $300 she was holding for me as my supposed savings).

I had a temp protection order granted at Cleveland Magistrates Court due to be heard on 11/1/16. My question is, will the magistrate force her to pay me back what I am owed?

Also what will happen if I choose not to attend court?

Thanks,

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

The court will not automatically make orders regarding a separate debt matter between you simply because it is determining the protection order matter. This is a separate legal matter that you will have to file a claim for or take other action to recover.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...