QLD What now? Separation

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Flutterby

18 May 2018
My husband of 20 years told me this morning that he doesn’t want to be with me any more. He does, however, want to stay under the safe room and co-parent our children that way. I can’t see how that could possibly work, particularly not in the long term. My husband has alcohol issues (but he won’t accept that) and has been cheating on me. I wanted us to try to work through things, but it sounds like he wants all of the good bits of our life without working through any of the difficult bits (including sorting out his drinking problem). We have young children, I’m about to lose my job. I have no idea where to start in working all of this out. I don’t even have any of my own money so I can seek legal advice without him knowing (he is a lawyer and has access to free family law advice).

AllForHer

23 July 2014
Well, your first stop should be Legal Aid. Legal Aid in Queensland offers free legal advice on family law matters and they can organise mediation so you and your ex can try and work out property settlement and parenting matters.

Give them a call as a starting point.