QLD What is the Normal Timeframe of Family Dispute Resolution?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

miguel

30 May 2018
Ahhh! That maybe why the ex pushed so hard for Relationships Australia but we ended up going to a different but related provider with similar sentiments. It's not political for me to name and shame at the moment but that will come.

I think the concept of FDR is ok but breaches of agreements should be the same weight as breaches. I reckon it could work for couples where there is little conflict but I haven't met any of those.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
I think the concept of FDR is ok but breaches of agreements should be the same weight as breaches. I reckon it could work for couples where there is little conflict but I haven't met any of those.

Only a small percentage of separated families end up in court and a vast majority are able to reach agreements on their own...many are assisted through mediation and FDR or even Arbitration. Being one of the smaller percentage of parents who end up in the court (I was one also) can “tarnish” that realism...

Some mediators can also assist parents to draw up consent orders...

Alina Kleiman

4 July 2018
I am always happy to engage in a healthy debate provided everyone can remain respectful. I consider the most important part of my role is to promote best interests of children. I can hear you feel jaded by the system. There is never going to be perfection after family breakdown. Both parents ultimately end up spending less time with their children, which is devastating for everybody. So parents need to create the best arrangements they possibly can and protect their children from conflict, exposure to which creates long term trauma. Parenting arrangements need to be guided by what is developmentally appropriate for children. This changes over time. What is appropriate for a 2 year old is different to a 10 year old, as guided by developmental psychology. Do you have ideas about how better outcomes for children could be created?

miguel

30 May 2018
Alina; sure but FDR practitioners have a vested interest in parties continuing with their service despite the best interest of the children not being met. I accept it's my responsibility but I just didn't discover interim orders until very recently. If anyone is reading this thread and has similar circumstances to mine just issue interim orders and do it now. Don't waste your time or money with FDR. Ask for help on this forum.

Nonfiction

17 May 2018
Victoria
@miguel - I tend to agree with you that in certain circumstances mediation is not a suitable option and/or can result in a longer drawn out process, especially when for example there are high levels of conflict between parents and one or both parents refuse to compromise leading to none/few/scant agreements being reached...at the expense of the children. While parents in situations where mediation has failed can get a 60i, some mediators can be very coercive in their approaches and can cause parents (who know no better) to think that mediation is their only option. Waiting for several weeks/months for a 1st mediation appointment (which can be the case depending on where you live or the chosen provider), only to agree on something small/trivial, after an hour session and agreements not being enforceable, is certainly not ideal.

@Alina Kleiman - My personal view is that mediation, in most cases, is always the best option. However, when discussing mediation/FDR I prefer to view it from the broader perspective of all service providers as opposed to an individual one. While mediation can be extremely beneficial and a good provider can definitely assist parents to focus on their children’s needs and help them to work together for the benefit of their children...the approaches, skill sets and knowledge bases of individual mediators are wide ranging...at times parents can be given misinformation, feel disempowered, pressured, there are no repercussions for parents not following agreements and, it can be very time consuming and costly (depending on the provider and duration) for e.g. a parent who is not seeing their child and will inevitably likely end up in court...which can fly in the face of quick resolutions and the best interests of the child. I say the aforementioned with complete acknowledgement that Court is far from ideal either. Solutions are hard to find!

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Alina; sure but FDR practitioners have a vested interest in parties continuing with their service despite the best interest of the children not being met. I accept it's my responsibility but I just didn't discover interim orders until very recently. If anyone is reading this thread and has similar circumstances to mine just issue interim orders and do it now. Don't waste your time or money with FDR. Ask for help on this forum.
Unfortunately in most cases you need a 60i certificate to get into court and that means mediation first. Even if you bypass the 60i, chances are the first order that will be made is one for mediation.

Let me reassure anyone reading this thread that overnights with a young child DO work, Kids are adaptable, they know their parents.

If you do end up in mediation PLEASE do not let ANYONE quote you ANY reports, papers, studies or the like that has Mcintosh's name on it to try to pressure you into thinking this is not true. Mcintosh fakes her studies by using skewed samples of kids in high conflict situations and then applies those results to all kids and parents . She is a conwoman and it has been proven. She has an alternative agenda.

The Woozle Effect (McIntosh et al's grossly flawed study(sic) goes viral)

A quick google search will help you overcome this woman

Last edited:

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Sorry to double post and sorry to quote other websites but this is a link to the flawed report i spoke about earlier. THis report has been thoroughly debunked and has been proven to be a hatchet job which relied on fake data. THis is important stuff tor people to know if they are even thinking of mediation/court

This report caused untold harm to both males and females for a very long time and actually coined the phrase "you have been mcintoshed" amongst those in the legal profession

http://flwg.com.au/data/attachment....&for_session=929ccfcde456b420aafa700783175edf

Reactions: miguel

miguel

30 May 2018
It is a large mistake for me not to mention that parties must attend mediation and be issued with a 60i certificate prior to issuing. But get that 60i on the first meeting and issue straight away.

Alina Kleiman

4 July 2018
This report caused untold harm to both males and females for a very long time and actually coined the phrase "you have been mcintoshed" amongst those in the legal profession

http://flwg.com.au/data/attachment....&for_session=929ccfcde456b420aafa700783175edf[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link miguel I will look into it. Are you aware of any other research that debunks MacIntosh's findings?

Just to clarify - of course some over night contact for children under the age of 2 may be appropriate and in their best interests - every family situation is unique. A good mediator does not have any vested interests and should not align with either party and certainly should not allow a party to feel pressured. Quite frankly that is unethical. What is most important for children is to be protected from inter parental conflict and usually issuing Court proceedings just entrenches the conflict. Mediation aims to resolve the conflict and coach parents towards healthier more productive communication styles for the sake of the children. Since in most parenting disputes mediation is mandatory - you might as well come with an open mind and make the most of it. If you come to mediation with the mindset that you are there for a s60I then of course it will be a complete waste of your time and a waste of an opportunity to truly resolve the conflict and create a healthier foundation for a future coparenting relationship.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
It is a large mistake for me not to mention that parties must attend mediation and be issued with a 60i certificate prior to issuing. But get that 60i on the first meeting and issue straight away.
To be fair, if you can work something out in mediation that can be turned into CONSENT ORDERS, not a parenting plan, then go for it. I wish everyone who went to mediation could do this but if you are put under any pressure by a mediator to accept tiny amounts of time based on Mcintosh or the like DO NOT buckle . Mediators can work to agendas just like Lawyers, Parents or anyone

Reactions: miguel