QLD What is the Normal Timeframe of Family Dispute Resolution?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Rosie27

5 December 2016
How long should it take from the initial intake interview with Family Dispute Resolution to actually start the mediation process?

My husband called them in February, had his initial intake in April, and mediation has still not started (8 months later). When he calls, all they will tell him is that 'the case is progressing'. Are such long timeframes normal?

sammy01

27 September 2015
Nope that is madness. He should call them, especially if he hasn't seen the kids in all that time. He should call up ask to speak to the boss. He should also ask about the organisations complaints / dispute handling procedures and ask for a dispute to be lodged. And if it's no good, ask for the certificate to go to court. The longer it takes to get to court, the better for the mum so he should get his skates on. And 8 months is appalling. It should not take that long.

Alina Kleiman

4 July 2018
This is part of the reason why I decided to become a private practicing family law mediator - it is absurd to wait that long! The whole point of mediation is to create a quick efficient pathway for families to resolve their disputes! If you are working and can afford private mediation there is no delay at all. Both of you can usually have your intake within a week or two depending on your availability. If it is a parenting matter and no homework is required in our practice you could have the mediation usually within a week of the P2 intake. If it is a property matter both parties need to arrange valuations of assets, gather bank / superannuation statements, share statements etc so in this case mediation would be scheduled as soon as all the information was available.

miguel

30 May 2018
It took 6 weeks for me but the ex was denying access.

In my circumstances FDR was a waste of time and money. It costs more than you think. The ex enjoyed controlling access to the kids. She denied access, lied, invented narratives and did so with tacit approval and collusion with the FDR people. When I approached the FDR people with my concerns it was seen as humorous as I was the idiot who should have taken her to court straight away, that is when they finally replied. They didn't hesitate to assist the ex. 3 months ago I filed for interim parenting orders and tonight received advice they are largely uncontested. If the ex shares similar traits to these forget FDR, just goto court.

Reactions: teflongirl

Alina Kleiman

4 July 2018
If the ex shares similar traits to these forget FDR said:
I am sorry to hear you had such a negative experience of FDR. Your ex sounds like the kind of person who ends up in Court. It can be very frustrating. I would be having some serious reality check conversations with her if I was mediating this and reminding her of the children's right to have a meaningful relationship with both parents. You have both now spend time and money applying for interim orders you could have agreed to in mediation 3 months ago. BTW you usually can not issue Court proceedings for parenting orders without first trying mediation and obtaining a s60I Certificate from a mediator, unless one of the exclusions applies such as extreme family violence for example.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
I will never forget my first Relationships Australia intake back waaaay long ago.

We were made to sit through a video that kept saying "for not live with parents of kids under school age short visits are best for the child with no overnights" At the end of the video i actually stood up and said to everyone else not to believe that piece of claptrap that is was based on a flawed study and then went on to question the "mediator" coordinating everything n the room as to why they showed such nonsense. Suffice to say i was not in their good books.

Relationships Australia are a joke, mediation, in my opinion, 95% of the time actually makes things worse in its current format and the wait times are disgusting

Reactions: teflongirl

Alina Kleiman

4 July 2018
I will never forget my first Relationships Australia intake back waaaay long ago.

We were made to sit through a video that kept saying "for not live with parents of kids under school age short visits are best for the child with no overnights" At the end of the video i actually stood up and said to everyone else not to believe that piece of claptrap that is was based on a flawed study and then went on to question the "mediator" coordinating everything n the room as to why they showed such nonsense. Suffice to say i was not in their good books.

Relationships Australia are a joke, mediation, in my opinion, 95% of the time actually makes things worse in its current format and the wait times are disgusting

In private practice we do not show anyone any videos! Promise. They can generic and not relevant. Which "flawed study" are you referring to?

The study I most like to refer to was one from 2010 commission by the Attorney General's Department. Here is a link: https://www.ag.gov.au/FamiliesAndMa...pmental outcomes for infants and children.pdf

The study analysed (among other things) how different parenting time arrangements impact young children and found that significant time away from the primary carer can be extremely disruptive to children under 2 years of age, still disruptive but less so between 2 and 4 years of age, and not at all disruptive after 4 years of age. A mediator's duty is to promote the best interests of children. I find the findings in this study useful in educating parents about how the parenting time arrangements may impact their children. We always operate from the presumption that provided the children are safe it is always best for them to have a meaningful relationship with both parents however this needs to be balanced against any potential risk of harm from a disrupted attachment to a primary carer which is essential in the early years.

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Was just venting about Mediation and Relationships Australia so other can know what to expect if they use their services.

Anything with Mcintosh's name on it is a con. She is known for misrepresenting groups in her studies. For example her earlier study that was used extensively before the 2010 one (name slips my memory) was proven to have taken samples of children from high conflict situations and then the applied results were said to be right for kids across the board. Sorry, she is a man hating feminazi lying conwoman who has done untold damage to co parenting

Im sorry but what you have quoted above is a LOAD OF RUBBISH and if that is the mindset you go into mediation with i want nothing to do with you

Last edited:

thatbloke

5 February 2018
Earth
Your last post should be a warning to ANY man not to use your services. You are now ignored