QLD What Does Family Law Say About Grandparents Rights?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

fatpanda

12 November 2015
My husband and I had a falling out with his family last year. The falling out occurred because we stopped involving my mother-in-law in our decisions and our marriage. She then went on to do various nasty things and say nasty words. There was constant conflict until we decided to ignore them altogether in Jan this year, as I was about to give birth.

In June we decided that we are ready for my mother-in-law and father-in-law to meet my son, who is 10 months old now. Since then there have been weekly/bi-weekly texts to my husband and then various invitations for family gatherings. We weren't ready to see the rest of the family as we have not heard from anyone. Mother-in-law cracked it, tried to guilt us, manipulate us, blame us, bully us to do what she wanted.

Then recently she mentioned grandparents rights in one of her emails. To me it looked like a threat.

We've been unable to reconnect with them because from all of her correspondence, we don't see that she will be to act respectful towards us. She doesn't acknowledge me and makes no effort with me and uses emotional manipulation to get my husband to do what she wants and I believe she will do the same with my son. She tried hard to turn my husband against me and I believe that she will do the same as my son gets older. The constant manipulation is what keeps us away and her lack of acknowledgement of me also.

So my question is what is the family law regarding grandparents seeing their grandkids? What is the procedure? How does the family court normally determine whether the grandparents get to see their grandchild or not?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth