SA Welfare or mediation what happens

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bravestone

13 February 2019
Hi
This is a tad long with background info which I'm not sure is relevant or not.
My ex hasn't had much to do with our kids since disappearing over 3yrs ago. He was heavily into drugs and from recent observations (unfortunately not mine) he is still largely using. But soon after leaving he met and fell pregnant with another lady who had lost her 5 previous children to the state where this one promptly followed upon birth and my ex somehow got custody of the child but has since lost it.
Over the last 3+ yrs he has seen our kids maybe 6 times, disappearing for months at a time after the latest being over 15+ mths of no contact. When he made contact I agreed to let him see the kids for a few hours, but he has since left the state to try and get his other child back (has said that it's a condition he be where his family is).
He is now saying that he is taking me to welfare to be able to see the boys as I won't go interstate with them to see him, his conditions are I stay with his family or his friends which I don't feel comfortable with either.
So I'm wanting to know where does welfare come into it? I was under the impression that the mediation process was where things started? Am I completely lost? He has told me that he will get everything he wants and I won't have a say, is that right? Does things like his drug use, losing custody of his other child etc come into play?
There are currently no courts orders or parenting plans etc in place as he has just not been around.

sammy01

27 September 2015
I don't think you have anything much to worry about.
He is telling you stuff to cause you fear and hope you'll crumble.
the fact he has a child removed from his care by the state is not a good starting point for him.

Reactions: Bravestone

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
he has told me that he will get everything he wants and I won't have a say, is that right?

He may be hallucinating. His statement has no basis to it.

Does things like his drug use, losing custody of his other child etc come into play?

Most definitely.

I'm wanting to know where does welfare come into it?

He can make things difficult for a while by making false allegations against you. Post back if does anything like this.

I was under the impression that the mediation process was where things started?

You are correct.

Reactions: Bravestone