WA Family Law - What to Do About Unresponsive Father?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Bopeep61

14 March 2016
Hello

I was hoping to ask for your help and if you could help me outline what I need to do if anything...

I have been separated from my partner (not married) for nearly 2 years and we have a three-year-old boy. I tried mediation as he was violent and aggressive towards me and I didn't want our son to see that. He was unco-operative and then disappeared.

I wish to raise our son in the UK as I believe it is in his best interests, where all my family are and as a single mum can provide and support him far better than staying in Australia, and where he will have a loving and caring family surroundings to grow up in. I haven't heard from his father for over a year and have tried to contact him,

I've had no help from him since we split to help raise our son. He is unreachable, about to become homeless, has drug and mental problems and has been unemployed for over three years. I would love your opinion on this.

My son now has dual nationality (British and Australian).

What do I need to do under Family Law with an unresponsive father?

running

13 March 2016
I was allowed to move overseas even though my ex didn't respond or show up for anything. He was given a couple of extra chances, which cost me extra money for lawyers. Once it was proven that he had been served I was granted orders.

This process took about eight months, ten years ago.

CasKat

1 February 2016
I am in court at the moment, my ex did not return my son after a visit weekend. He refused mediation he attended court once was told to return our son and since then he has made it impossible for me to contact him for our son. I don't know where he lives I don't have a contact number for him I've been told by his ex that I can contact his eldest son to get a hold of him and even then my sons father is never available.

We went to court for a second time. he did not show up. He is getting one more chance before orders are made (its been 8months).

If his father wants to pursue a relationship with your child than the father will be required to initiate contact. The stress it causes on you and your child sometimes is not in the best interest of the child. The mixed emotions of rejection wanting to know who what when where why.

Sometimes it is best to continue moving forward with your lives and wait for the father to make contact with you and try mediate outside of court when it comes to a head.

Reactions: Bopeep61

Bopeep61

14 March 2016
Thank you so much for your help. I hope you and your son are reunited and happily together again. It is true that all the effects of trying to do the right thing legally can reflect on the child badly and with everything said and done we do need to move forward

Reactions: CasKat