QLD Wedding Equipment - Risks Under Insurance Law?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brentg94

5 February 2019
Hi,

Not sure if this is posted in the correct area, so my apologies if it isn’t.

I have just started up a very small business hiring out 1-metre tall wooden “love” letter light up display mainly for weddings and engagement parties in Queensland

We deliver, set up and pack down the display ourselves each time and we provide a small sign next to the display stating to keep clear and do not touch the display but unsure what else we need to do.

The only risks I can think of that are possible although very unlucky are:

- the letters are pushed over on top of a person causing injury/death

- the possibility of an electrical fault causing a fire which damages the building/venue

Would you recommend some kind of insurance? Is there anything we could be sued for in the unlucky event that our display causes damage to a person or property under insurance law?

Can we have in our terms and conditions that the hirer accepts all responsibility once the display is delivered and set up?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob Legat - SBPL

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 February 2017
Gold Coast, Queensland
lawtap.com
1. Yes, going without insurance is not recommended for any business.
2. Yes, usually in some form of claim for negligence.
3. Yes, but it doesn't mean that it will be a catch all. There are some things you cannot escape, and the unfair contracts legislation renders you likely to have the contract read down if you even attempt it.

I suggest you find a good insurance broker and develop a relationship with them.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
There's also an issue if the signs themselves are "custom made" so to speak. If they are, then was the electric work done by someone qualified, or at least inspected and signed off by someone qualified under some kind of quality assurance procedure as meeting all applicable standards.

If not, it would be very risky to use them in the way you describe. Even with insurance, you probably wouldn't be covered if the signs don't meet minimum standards or if they are not properly maintained.

Reactions: Rob Legat - SBPL

Brentg94

5 February 2019
There's also an issue if the signs themselves are "custom made" so to speak. If they are, then was the electric work done by someone qualified, or at least inspected and signed off by someone qualified under some kind of quality assurance procedure as meeting all applicable standards.

If not, it would be very risky to use them in the way you describe. Even with insurance, you probably wouldn't be covered if the signs don't meet minimum standards or if they are not properly maintained.

Thanks for the reply.
The lights themselves are a product I have purchased so no electrical work was done by me they are similar to a string of Christmas lights for example. I have the lights tested and tagged by an electrician each year also for that reason