NSW Wanting to relocate

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

justine82

31 August 2020
I am a mother of two children (20 months & 3 years) wanting to relocate with my children to a place thats 2-3 hours away. My children's father is emotionally and mentally abusive towards me and I have had 2 AVOs on him in three years (one active). He has a violent past and I do not wish to have my children sleepover at his home anymore, I have had complaints from my 3 year old about comments that have been made by him and his family. I do believe it is best for my children's psychological health to not sleep over at dads. He also abuses alcohol. I can no longer afford to live comfortably where I do and believe my children have a better future if we were to live in a cheaper area. I am wanting to know if he has the right to take me to court over me relocating, even though it isn't far, he has already told me that the courts would make me drive the kids to him every weekend if I relocate. Thank you!

sammy01

27 September 2015
do you have court orders?
Would the courts make you travel every weekend? NOPE.
Look you could just move and hope he doesn't take you to court. But based on the info you've provided you have a good case.
What time does he currently have with the kids?