SA Used Company Credit Card for Personal Use but Paid Back

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Tesstess

14 August 2015
I recently resigned from my job as I used the company credit card about 5 times in 6 months for personal use and each month I reimbursed the company what I had used with a note. I didn't know this was not ok and thought it was within my employee rights. But after a few months, the finance department told my boss. And they sat me down and yelled at me. It made me feel so uncomfortable that I resigned. In the months I worked for them I was treated very badly anyway and this was just the last straw for me.

Looking back however at the last 6 months I'm worried there may have been one purchase I didn't pay for worth $50.

My legal question is: can they take legal action against me for this mistake, or will I be ok?

Thank you

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
Yes, they can (at least in theory).
If you are uncomfortable and uncertain, then the price of peace of mind is fifty dollars.
Write them a cheque and move on.

Reactions: John R

John R

14 April 2014
Sydney
I agree with @Tim W, many organisations have clear corporate credit card use policies (that is, generally, they are to be used for business purposes only).

Tesstess

14 August 2015
Well I did give them the $50 cash. But what they failed to do was to conduct a correct induction on how they prefer staff to use the card...I feel they are in the wrong!

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's their card, given to you for work purposes.
No reasonable person would think that it was for personal use, without express permission.
No reasonable person would believe that a company credit card was provided to an employee
for the purpose of making unauthorised personal loans to the employee.

Tesstess

14 August 2015
Well I didn't know and I disagree. I've never been in that position before so no I didn't know. I've never been in that position before. And it wasn't done on purpose it was an accident.

Tim W

Lawyer
28 April 2014
Sydney
Five times is not an accident.

Perhaps others will see it your way, but I do not.

I wish you luck in the future.