QLD How to find out if I can leave the country on holiday

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Gnickrapon

17 January 2019
Hi all,

I'm off overseas on a holiday in a few weeks and I'm wondering if I'll be stopped at the airport. Sounds far more sinister than it is believe me. It's likely just my brain overreacting.

A little over 18 months ago a warrant was served on my house. To cut a long story short the police did not find what they were looking for, I was not charged, arrested, fined or anything. I was however photographed but I got the feeling this was just standard procedure I have not heard anything since and consider the matter dealt with but just thought it best to get some form of clarification. Is it a requirement that I be told if I am unable to leave the country? The last thing I want is to get to the departure gate at the international airport and not be allowed to proceed.

Many thanks

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Sounds like your talking about a search warrant. Is that right? Also, where were you photographed and were you fingerprinted?

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Okay, a search warrant is nothing to worry about here, it's part of the investigation process. If you had been taken to the Police staion and photograped and fingerprinted, then you would know that you had been charged with an offence - but that didn't happen. Also, it's been 18 months, so I doubt that the investigation is still active.

In short, you only need to worry about leaving if there is an outstanding "arrest warrant", and it appears to me that is clearly not the case, otherwise you would have heard about it long before now.

So rest easy and enjoy your holiday - you have nothing to worry about.

Reactions: Gnickrapon

Gnickrapon

17 January 2019
Okay, a search warrant is nothing to worry about here, it's part of the investigation process. If you had been taken to the Police staion and photograped and fingerprinted, then you would know that you had been charged with an offence - but that didn't happen. Also, it's been 18 months, so I doubt that the investigation is still active.

In short, you only need to worry about leaving if there is an outstanding "arrest warrant", and it appears to me that is clearly not the case, otherwise you would have heard about it long before now.

So rest easy and enjoy your holiday - you have nothing to worry about.

You Sir, are a champion. I kind of thought this was the case but to hear someone else put it in perspective is a load off my mind. Many thanks

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
Your welcome mate - go enjoy youself and have a few on me. :D:);):eek:o_O:confused: ....... Maybe not too many!

Reactions: Gnickrapon