Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Unfulfilled Mobile Phone Contract - Can They Take Me to Court?

Discussion in 'Debt and Bankruptcy Law Forum' started by BlueCab, 11 January 2017.

1. BlueCab

BlueCab Member

I have left Australia due to Visa problems. I had a mobile phone contract that I cannot fulfil. I have returned the handset and charger and given them a cover letter. They are now pursuing the debt. I am in the UK.

Can they take me to court?

2. Victoria S

Victoria S Well-Known Member

Where and how are they pursuing the debt? Is it just within Australia? Do you plan to return to Australia?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. BlueCab

BlueCab Member

Hi Victoria

I am in the UK now. They are in contact via Email and have now given the debt to a debt collection agency. I will not be returning to Australia. Thank you

4. Hayder Shkara

Hayder Shkara Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

How much is the debt worth?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. BlueCab

BlueCab Member

Hi

The amount is 1080 dollars

6. Hayder Shkara

Hayder Shkara Lawyer
    LawTap Verified Lawyer

Could take it to court. If you don't respond, get a default judgment on you. Will go up on your credit history. Not sure if this will follow you to the UK. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

7. BlueCab

BlueCab Member

Thanks for the info.

I have been in touch with them on numerous occasions and they have got the phone back but they are not taking this into account regarding the debt. I have taken some legal advice in the UK and have all the correspondence to back up my case. So thank you for your time.

Regards