NSW Unfulfilled Mobile Phone Contract - Can They Take Me to Court?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

BlueCab

11 January 2017
I have left Australia due to Visa problems. I had a mobile phone contract that I cannot fulfil. I have returned the handset and charger and given them a cover letter. They are now pursuing the debt. I am in the UK.

Can they take me to court?

Victoria S

9 April 2014
Where and how are they pursuing the debt? Is it just within Australia? Do you plan to return to Australia?

BlueCab

11 January 2017
Hi Victoria

I am in the UK now. They are in contact via Email and have now given the debt to a debt collection agency. I will not be returning to Australia. Thank you

Hayder Shkara

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
16 January 2017
Sydney, NSW
www.neatlaw.com.au
Could take it to court. If you don't respond, get a default judgment on you. Will go up on your credit history. Not sure if this will follow you to the UK. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

BlueCab

11 January 2017
Could take it to court. If you don't respond, get a default judgment on you. Will go up on your credit history. Not sure if this will follow you to the UK. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

Thanks for the info.

I have been in touch with them on numerous occasions and they have got the phone back but they are not taking this into account regarding the debt. I have taken some legal advice in the UK and have all the correspondence to back up my case. So thank you for your time.

Regards