NSW Mobile Phone Insurance Giving Me Refurbished Device Instead?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

alka

7 July 2016
Hi everyone,

I lost my mobile phone two days ago and as I had my insurance, I called the mobile insurance. I had an iphone 6 plus 128gb. They said my claim was approved but as the handset is at the end of it's life, I would get a refurbished mobile device.

I want to confirm, being a consumer, that if I pay my insaurance and that if I loose my phone, they will either replace the device or the value for the new device? This seems really unfair to me.

Any help? And on their insaurance policy, they have mentioned it is their sole decision to determine that if I will get a new or a refurbished device.

Rod

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Looks like you're stuck with a refurbished phone. The policy is not unfair and is what you are paying for. If you want a new replacement phone under insurance choose a policy that has a 'new for old' clause but expect it to be more expensive.

alka

7 July 2016
Rod, in their policy they had mentioned that they will provide the closest equivalent model, or a closest equivalent/refurbished phone, so I wrote an email to them, taking a screenshot of what they have said in the policy and they have now agreed to give me a brand new phone.

Thank you for your response anyway.