Traffic offense from 11 years ago resulting in 6-month suspension - HELP!!

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Joel Patrick

27 January 2024
On the 1st of August 2013, I was driving my vehicle when I was stopped by police and fined for using a handheld mobile phone while operating a motor vehicle resulting in a fine.

More than 10 years on I have recently learned that I was two months shy of finishing my 12-month good behaviour period in 2013 when the aforementioned offence was recorded. I also recently learned that a notice of accumulation of demerit points during a Good Driving Behaviour period, which resulted in a license suspension, was posted out to my address. This notice was not received by me as I had moved to Melbourne Victoria at the beginning of 2014, for work during that time. The notice was returned to the sender and consequently, never enforced. It was only upon my return to Queensland after a span of ten years and the subsequent change of my license back to Queensland, that I was served with a license suspension notice. This notice, arriving over a decade later, was unexpected and something I am completely unprepared for at this phase of my life.

I’m contemplating the idea of applying for a SHO via a court proceeding, but I’m uncertain if there are alternative options available, such as a statute of limitations based on the time frame. I’ve attached a screenshot of my traffic offence history from QLD, hoping it might provide a clearer context for assistance.

I did seek legal advice, but the lawyer/solicitor I contacted asked for $4,000 to file a SHO. Unfortunately, I don’t have the financial means to hire a lawyer for that sort of money.

I would like to point out that I acknowledge and accept full accountability for this traffic offense, recognising the serious risk it posed to both my own life and those around me. however, nearly 11 years on, I am a profoundly changed individual from the time of this offence.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-01-27 210433.png
    Screenshot 2024-01-27 210433.png
    60 KB · Views: 1