NSW Tradesperson Committed Fraud - Compensation and Refund?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Nick0101

22 February 2017
Hi,

Just need some help as a tradie came to our unit and gave a quote for a kitchen around 24K and demanded 70% and we gave it right away as were told that he will prepare the docs to be signed, etc . And after that day, we sent him so many emails and SMS but no reply and he was not interested in talking and resolving the matter, saying "do whatever you wish to".

I am getting a referral from the Office of Fair Trading this week for a tribunal. Is there anything we can do to get our 17K back or is it that easy to do a fraud in Australia? I want my money and compensation for the mental stress given to my family.

Any way out as fair trading can't locate his licence under his company?

Reactions: Timnuts

Matt King

8 February 2017
Sydney and Wollongong
Subject to any other important facts, this seems to be a pretty clear cut case of breach of contract. Matt

Liam Matthews

24 February 2017
I too would love the answer to this, my understanding of laws in Australia is that you can't really sue for "Compensation" You can only hope to get back what you gave them, then you have less due to legal fees.

It does seem to be about this easy to scam people in Australia. If the worst thing he has to do it hand back the money, why wouldn't you risk it and make it as hard as possible?

Reactions: piper