QLD Car in Repair for 6 Months Now - What to Do?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

nemosdory

12 April 2018
Hi,

My wife purchased a car almost 12 months ago. From day one, it has had problems and we have taken the car back numerous times to rectify the issue as it has a 12-month warranty. They have failed to fix the problem and we have returned it to them yet again to fix.

They have had the vehicle for almost 6 months now at their workshop and keep making excuses as to why we have not got the vehicle back in repaired condition. They say that they cannot find the correct part to replace the faulty one which is untrue as I know they are available. They also have failed to register the vehicle and transfer ownership into her name despite her paying cash upfront in full for the purchase.

How long is too long for the repairs to be done and us to receive the car back in safe working condition? I would have thought 6 months was too long? We have contacted the Office of Fair Trading and the Dealership told Fair Trading they will fix the vehicle and because they have stated that fair trading will not pursue it any further. What can we do now as 6 months without our vehicle is getting ridiculous?

Your expertise would be very much appreciated.

Clancy

6 April 2016
I thought they fixed the never ending repair loophole?

This is where you return something for repair but they never actually do any work on it, they just play lip service until you give up, and sounds like Fair trading is happy to support that crime.