WA Telstra and Unlocking Phone Issues?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Andrey Slepov

14 February 2019
I am going to describe the situation I am in right now.

I bought the phone from Telstra, and it is locked to it, i.e I cannot insert my other sim card and use it with other phone network providers. So, I called Telstra support services and requested for them to unlock the phone. They charged me a certain amount for unlocking and said that the unlocking code will be sent to me in 7-10 business days.

That did not happen and on 10th day I contacted them to ask about the code. The operator mentioned that they do not have it yet, and asked me to give them a couple more days so they can escalate the issue and get back to me. He precisely said that they going to contact me. So I assumed a couple days is equivalent of 2-3 days, after which nobody contacted me.

I called them again and they said they still don't possess of the unlocking code. Eventually, I kept on calling them every day until they told me to give them another 7-10 business days after which I will have my phone unlocked.

Today is day 9 of those days.

My question is if there is any way I can do something. I can't operate the phone so I have to use my old one which is broken so this whole thing causes a really bad inconvenience.

The other thing is that I paid them money for certain services they failed to deliver. I understand that I can request for a refund but my phone will remain locked and there is no other way to unlock it rather than calling to Telstra again, and we know how that results.

Scruff

25 July 2018
NSW
If you paid for the phone outright, then demand a refund on the phone itself. That will likely speed things up dramatically.

Excuses like "We haven't got the code yet" sound like complete rubbish to me.

Andrey Slepov

14 February 2019
Th
If you paid for the phone outright, then demand a refund on the phone itself. That will likely speed things up dramatically.

Excuses like "We haven't got the code yet" sound like complete rubbish to me.

Thanks for reply, Im working on this thing right now. It's quite hard to launch the refund process.