WA Australian Consumer Law - Telstra Increasing Plan Bill Before Contract Ends?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

GARY MOLLOY

6 October 2015
I have just received notification from Telstra informing me that my Mobile Phone Plan will increase by $10 from the next billing cycle. I signed a two year contract with them on a $50 monthly plan which has five months still to run before renewal. Can Telstra legally under Australian Consumer Law increase the cost of the plan before the two year contract is up ?

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Hi Gary,

It really depends on what your contract says. If there is a clause stating that they can increase the telephone plan prior to the contract finishing then they are able to do it. Without that clause, the contract amount would have to remain as agreed between both parties.

In this situation, it may be worth telephoning Telstra and informing them that you have a contract that expires in March and inform them that you received notification of an increase. It might have been a genuine mistake.

I have just received notification from Telstra informing me that my Mobile Phone Plan will increase by $10 from the next billing cycle. I signed a two year contract with them on a $50 monthly plan which has five months still to run before renewal. Can Telstra legally under Australian Consumer Law increase the cost of the plan before the two year contract is up ?

GARY MOLLOY

6 October 2015
Hi Gary,

It really depends on what your contract says. If there is a clause stating that they can increase the telephone plan prior to the contract finishing then they are able to do it. Without that clause, the contract amount would have to remain as agreed between both parties.

In this situation, it may be worth telephoning Telstra and informing them that you have a contract that expires in March and inform them that you received notification of an increase. It might have been a genuine mistake.
Thanks for that. After much running around trying to find Terms and Conditions of the contract I finally found the bit where it states that they can increase prices as long as they give at least 30 days written notice, which they have :( I don't even come close to using the $50 on my plan as it is, so guess who will be cancelling his plan and going pre-paid again ? !!!

JS79

2 October 2015
Perth
Try calling Telstra and explain that the contract you signed was for $50 per month up until March. They might have still sent it as a mistake. If they do quote that part of the contract then it is up to you whether you continue with your contract or not but remember that they may charge you break fees that may be more than $10 per month that they are asking.

Thanks for that. After much running around trying to find Terms and Conditions of the contract I finally found the bit where it states that they can increase prices as long as they give at least 30 days written notice, which they have :( I don't even come close to using the $50 on my plan as it is, so guess who will be cancelling his plan and going pre-paid again ? !!!

GARY MOLLOY

6 October 2015
Try calling Telstra and explain that the contract you signed was for $50 per month up until March. They might have still sent it as a mistake. If they do quote that part of the contract then it is up to you whether you continue with your contract or not but remember that they may charge you break fees that may be more than $10 per month that they are asking.
There's a bit where it states, roughly, " If you don't like it, contact us to cancel your plan without incurring early exit fees" .... Makes me laugh to note the only way to do this is by telephone !!!
Thanks for your help.