WA Strata Titles Act WA and Privacy Act

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Brad70

4 January 2018
Strata Titles Act in WA allows any owner of a body corporate to access all owners contact details from the roll maintained as they are allowed by law to contact each other directly but the Strata titles act only says name and residential address, there is no email address or phone number listed as Strata titles act has not being updated. Just about all communications now between strata manager and owners is by email and phone, this has being like this for many years. My question is, can a strata manager refuse access to owners email address and phone number due privacy Act? This information belongs to body corporate, not strata manager and there is no mention of privacy act in the strata titles act.

Tripe

22 May 2017
You can't give out private details of people without Thier permission under the privacy act.

Just write a letter, to the person concerned, what's the big deal
About writing a normal letter?

Tripe

22 May 2017
Or get the strata manger to get the person to call you, if you are happy to Have your phone number passed on, just give it to the strata manager to pass on

Brad70

4 January 2018
You can't give out private details of people without Thier permission under the privacy act.

Just write a letter, to the person concerned, what's the big deal
About writing a normal letter?
The point is not about writing a normal letter or not. What are private details exactly that you say can't give out? Strata Titles Act allows access to name and residential address so is that not private details? I don't know about you but i rather give out my email address over my residential address out any day.