Storage of Separated Wife's Personal Effects

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

HHH

15 June 2014
I separated from my wife just over a year ago. She still has some of her personal effects stored in my garage. I have requested (via a lawyer) that she remove her effects but to date she keeps coming up with lame excuses for not removing her effects.
Where do I stand legally in regards to getting rid of her effects if she continues to use my garage as free storage.

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
It's still her stuff.

What you really asking here is
"Can I throw it out? And what will be the consequences if I do?"

If you have already engaged a lawyer to assist you,
then it is not reasonable for lawyers in here to comment
on that question.

It is, however, a question you should ask the lawyer you have.

HHH

15 June 2014
I engaged a lawyer to send my ex a letter I drafted and that is all. I do not have a lawyer on retainer for anything else at this stage.

I do not want to throw my ex's property out as such, I just want it out of my garage. I think putting up with her stuff cluttering up my space for a year after separating is more than enough. I will be vacating this property my the end of the year so if she has not picked up her property by the time I vacate, what am I supposed to do with it ?

I'm certainly not taking it interstate with me.

I do not think I'm being unreasonable here, I just want her and her stuff out of my life. Where do I stand legally ?