LawAnswers.com.au - Australia's #1 Legal Community

LawAnswers.com.au is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

VIC Speeding Fines - Two Outstanding Warrants Received from 2009

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by MrsA, 14 May 2015.

1. MrsA

MrsA Member

OK so I've just received two outstanding warrants for $295.40. Having never ever received a fine or any notification in the mail. So I rang the infringement court and they're speeding fines dated 28/12/2009 and 31/12/2009. Yes, six years ago. I moved to Victoria around that time and changed drivers licence details and registered my car in Victoria, but apparently they'd sent fines to a NSW postal address.

My questions are:
    1. Can they wait this long? How am I supposed to prove something from that long ago?
    2. VicRoads etc have my postal address (they've sent new plates, car rego, fines and licenses) since these fines occurred. So should I have to pay the $300 in fees?
    3. What do I do now? Arrgh!

Any help gratefully received.
    Thanks

2. Rod

Rod Well-Known Member

1. Yes. It is probable that they initiated the fines within the required time frame. You do not need to prove anything, they have to prove you guilty.
    2. Up to you. Fight it in court or pay up. Do not leave it.
    3. See 2. Accept it and pay up, or take it to court. It is unlikely you'll be worse off at court, may be better off if you get a good magistrate who wipes of the admin fees.

3. MrsA

MrsA Member

Thanks Rod! I've since worked out I wasn't driving, but because its been so long the actual driver is deceased. Oh and I actually changed my drivers license address 5 days before the fines were issued.

4. Ozwarlock67

Ozwarlock67 Well-Known Member

Glad it was resolved, but I would think that the statute of limitations in regard to chasing you over this should have expired after vive years at the most.