SA Speeding Fines In Victoria - No Sign That There was a Camera?

Australia's #1 for Law
Join 150,000 Australians every month. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
FREE - Join Now

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
I drove from Adelaide to Melbourne a couple of months ago.....something I've done countless times. A few weeks later, I got a ticket saying I had been doing an (alleged) 106 in a 100 zone somewhere between Dimboola and Horsham. Unlike South Australia, there was no sign to advise of a nearby camera.

I have asked for the matter to be dropped as I consider it trifling and have called a bluff saying that I have the right to have the matter brought to an SA court for mention.

The fine is $183 and it is going to cost Civic Compliance a lot more than that to start transferring speeding fines cases between states.

Any thoughts?

Tim W

Lawyer
LawConnect (LawTap) Verified
28 April 2014
Sydney
My thoughts?

1. Nobody, least of all the government of Victoria, cares if you think it "trifling" or not.
    Victoria cares a lot about road safety.

2. Speed cameras are what the law calls "scientific instruments" - they are presumed by the law to be accurate.
    It is theoretically possible to displace this presumption, but I have never known it to actually happen.

3. You will be hard pressed to get anyone to take any notice of your assertion
    that a Victorian traffic matter can be dealt with in South Australia.

4. Pay the fine, and go get on with your life.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Victoria cares a lot about road safety

And revenue raising.

I have done a lot of country driving over the years and in that country, where it is flat and roads are straight, doing 106 kmh is not unsafe.

Careless driving is unsafe, having unroadworthy tyeares is unsafe, reading text messages on phones while driving is unsafe, etc. There are many things that are unsafe, but doing 106 kmh while being attentive in a roadworthy car on a good stretch of road is NOT UNSAFE.

Low level speeding in most cases is not unsafe. Trouble is that speed is easy to measure and easy to enforce. Government is taking the easy way to raising revenue while hurting the people it supposedly represents.

If the government was really serious about road safety they would have road safety stops where car roadworthiness is checked. They might even have mandatory vehicle inspections every 2 or 3 years. All accidents should be reported to police so profiles of black spots/poor drivers can be analysed. They would also have driver re-education programs for people regularly causing accidents. They can have tougher driving testing.

They can also mandate alcohol interlocks on all new cars. They can enforce better car security in new cars to stop joyeariders drag racing/doing burn outs in stolen cars.

More often than not it is driver attitude that determines how safe a driver is on the road, not the speed they are travelling.

Ozwarlock67

16 April 2015
Fine withdrawn with an official warning. They didn't get my money. I still have all my points. I win.

Rod

Lawyer
27 May 2014
www.hutchinsonlegal.com.au
Thanks for the update.

Good to see some commonsense being applied :)