- Australia's #1 Legal Community is a community of 10,000+ Australians, just like you, helping each other.
Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!
Join us, it only takes a minute:

NSW Possible to Get Section 10 for Speeding Fines?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by jslim1008, 2 September 2016.

  1. jslim1008

    jslim1008 Member

    1 September 2016
    Likes Received:

    I need a help.

    So I've received speeding fines (from a camera) for 10kph and under. I was going 70 in a 60 zone. I realise it is what it is, that I broke the law.

    But the thing is, it was my first time going in that region and by the time I turned into the freeway section, I didn't see any speed sign indication, only the sign (Variable Speed Limit Enforced) and School Zone 40 sign.

    I followed the flow of the traffic for a bit and seeing the speed was around 65kph, I assumed it was a 70 zone, so I went ahead of traffic. I couldn't tell when other cars slowed down.

    I found out later when I got the ticket, using google map, the speed sign was way up the freeway.

    Enough explanation, is there any chance I can plead guilty and maybe come out with a Section 10? Or even just a reduced Suspension duration?

    I'm appealing the speeding fines, not the suspension, (haven't got the suspension letter yet).
  2. Sophea

    Sophea Well-Known Member

    16 April 2014
    Likes Received:
    Section 10 is commonly used with traffic offences, however, they must not be viewed as an automatic right for first-time offenders. Section 10 ensures that justice is served in circumstances where, despite a breach of the law, there are such mitigating circumstances or the matter is so trivial that punishment is not an appropriate course of action. I can't say whether or not you would be successful however it is an option available to you to plead s10.

Share This Page