Australia's #1 for Law

Join 11,000+ Australians. Ask a question, respond to a question and better understand the law today!

NSW Possible to Get Section 10 for Speeding Fines?

Discussion in 'Traffic Law Forum' started by jslim1008, 2 September 2016.

1. jslim1008

jslim1008 Member

Hello,

I need a help.

So I've received speeding fines (from a camera) for 10kph and under. I was going 70 in a 60 zone. I realise it is what it is, that I broke the law.

But the thing is, it was my first time going in that region and by the time I turned into the freeway section, I didn't see any speed sign indication, only the sign (Variable Speed Limit Enforced) and School Zone 40 sign.

I followed the flow of the traffic for a bit and seeing the speed was around 65kph, I assumed it was a 70 zone, so I went ahead of traffic. I couldn't tell when other cars slowed down.

I found out later when I got the ticket, using google map, the speed sign was way up the freeway.

Enough explanation, is there any chance I can plead guilty and maybe come out with a Section 10? Or even just a reduced Suspension duration?

I'm appealing the speeding fines, not the suspension, (haven't got the suspension letter yet).

2. Sophea

Sophea Well-Known Member

Section 10 is commonly used with traffic offences, however, they must not be viewed as an automatic right for first-time offenders. Section 10 ensures that justice is served in circumstances where, despite a breach of the law, there are such mitigating circumstances or the matter is so trivial that punishment is not an appropriate course of action. I can't say whether or not you would be successful however it is an option available to you to plead s10.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...